Friday, August 13, 2010

Johnny's story. . .

Some of you may know that my passion has always been rehabilitating people following a spinal cord injury (SCI).  I haven't worked in rehab for several years now, but I do miss it.  I have had the opportunity and the pleasure of working with Johnny during my stay here in Haiti.  He is the only patient that is in this hospital with a SCI.  No one else in this hospital has had experience treating someone with a SCI, from a therapy standpoint.  Having a SCI is a totally life altering occurence, physically, socially, emotionally, and vocationally.  I have learned that to have a SCI is much more challenging in Haiti then in the US.

Johnny was involved in a motor vehicle accident approximately 2 months ago (sidenote: NOT surprising given the chaotic driving conditions), and he was paralyzed from the waist down. The first time I saw Johnny, the expression on his face was of despondence.  I am not sure what the situation was prior to Kristen, the occupational therapist, and me arriving at the hospital.  We did not get the impression that he received much therapy.  It seemed that he had taught himself how to function on his own.  Initially, he refused treatment, then we learned that he had a pressure sore on his bottom, which is very common after a spinal cord injury because they are sitting all day and not aware that they need to shift around to relieve pressure because they do not have feeling below the level of their injury.  Upon observing it, I found that the wound was being very poorly cared for and improperly dressed by nursing.  No one had educated Johnny on pressure relief.  Pressure relief is the first thing I would normally instruct a SCI patient about, Johnny had his injury 2 months ago.  Wow.

We introduced ourselves to Johnny and became acquainted with him throughout our journey.  As he realized we could be helpful and not harmful to him, he warmed up to us.  I remember the first day we really treated him.  I was assessing him, and I wanted to see what he was able to do for himself.  He maneuvered himself out of the bed and into the wheelchair without difficulty.  Kristen then asked him how he accessed the bathroom and shower.  Trust me, the Haitian hospital bathrooms are not wheelchair accessible.  There is even a step to get up into his bathroom that is actually the size of a powder room.  We watched somewhat horrified, but yet intrigued as he popped his chair into a wheelie placing the front of the wheelchair on the step and using the door frame and the commode directly in front of him to pull the rest of the chair into the bathroom.  He then maneuvered his body from the chair to the commode, and from the commode to the shower.  He finaled with turning the water on his fully clothed body.  We erupted in cheers and applause.  This was a motivated man who was going to do for himself and figure it out.  I think just our clapping and cheers alone, made him realize how amazing his accomplishments were and that he could feel proud of himself instead of worthless.  The reason I made that last statement is because Johnny told us that when he first came to the hospital, nobody would help him.  Nobody would take care of him.  Nobody would help him bath or get dressed.  He felt they were disgusted by him as if he was some sort of freak.  I have never seen anyone come to visit Johnny.  He says that his cousin came to visit him once, and his cousin told him he looked terrible.  Johnny told him he didn't need such negativity, so he threw him out and told him never to return again.  He tells us his father came once and took his money.  But he says he has God.  God is with him always.

I haven't met a Haitian yet who has had an easy life.  Johnny, of course is no exception.  He is a very attractive 27 year old man.  His mother is Dominican and his father is Haitian.  His mother lives in Martinique and his father is here in Haiti.  I didn't learn the details, but Johnny has been on his own since he was 10, when it seems his parents left him.  He was left to raise is brothers and sisters.  You can tell that Johnny was a hard worker.  His upper body is very strong, and he is very lean.  He was a laborer prior to his accident.  He would carry heavy, heavy loads up several flights of stairs.  He was a truck driver, too.  He talks about how all he wants is to return to work.  He needs to work.  I am astounded by his focus on working.  He doesn't speak once to us about wanting to be able to walk again.

In poverty stricken Haiti it is very, very difficult as an able-bodied person to get a job.  I am sure it is exponentially more difficult as a paraplegic to get a job.  He says that people will likely look at him as a freak, and he won't be treated well.  I can't even imagine how difficult it will be for him to even maneuver the terrain in Haiti.  Absolutely nothing is going to be accessible to him.  There are no handicap ramps or elevators.  There aren't any sidewalks or paved roads.  The roads are filled with garbage, rubble, and completely uneven terrain.  Transportation will be nearly impossible for him.  He won't be able to afford a car, most people don't have money to buy a car.  Not one Haitian that I met even had a car.  People rely on walking and tap-taps for transport.  To review, a "tap-tap" is a significantly overcrowded bus or pick-up truck that will not accomodate his wheelchair.  And by overcrowded, I mean people are hanging off the back of the bus.

Johnny tells us that he would like to return to the Dominican Republic.  He has no one here in Haiti, but he has some family in the DR.  A passport will take months to get.  And he does not have the money to get it.  We found out this week that there is some sort of vocational rehab facility several hours away that will take Johnny.  I don't know much about this facility, but there are alot of other young men there who have had SCI's, and they are training on computers and digital cameras that have been donated.  Johnny is not in denial.  He knows that he will never do heavy labor again.  He wants to do be an artist and make crafts and sculpt for a living.  This rehab program is definitely a step in the right direction.  But realistically, I am very scared for Johnny.  He is a smart man, and I am sure he is quite creative.  But there are thousands of Haitians who are very intelligent, creative, strong, and able-bodied who can't find jobs, who can't get out of Haiti, and can barely keep their heads above water. 

Kristen and I gave Johnny our e-mail addresses.  I don't know if I will ever hear from him.  I don't know if I will ever find out what will become of him.  I pray that his faith in God will be strong enough for him to overcome his obstacles.  He has had an extremely hard life.  Unfortunately, I think the road ahead of him is going to be grueling, literally and figuratively. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I can't wait to hear an update on this one day....hope he contacts you!!! Have any post haiti thoughts or reflections???

    ReplyDelete